Development Manager Job Position
Location: Remote position with regular on-site meetings in Fredericksburg, VA and the
Employment Type: Contract or Part-Time
Annual Pay: $25K – $50K commensurate with experience
OVERVIEW OF POSITION
The Summit Academy is an independent liberal arts preparatory school rooted in the Catholic tradition. We are expanding our development efforts and seeking to hire a new team member who will be dedicated to advancing our fundraising efforts.
Our mission is at the heart of the school, and the job of fundraising is a form of ministry as it announces our mission and invites more people to share in that mission. It is essential that our development efforts foster deeper relationships with all stakeholders, both internally and externally. Those stakeholders include: students, parents, faculty, school leaders, alumni, local parishes and clergy, feeder schools, community service organizations, foundations, business partners, and friends. Mission development functions should present a compelling vision of The Summit Academy.
The Development Manager will report to the Headmaster and work collaboratively with various team members. Having just completed our fifth year of operations and a very successful anniversary fundraising gala, we are at an exciting time in the school’s history.
The ideal candidate will fully embrace the school’s mission and bring that to bear in creatively executing their skills as a proficient thinker, researcher, writer, and communicator. This will be a 12-month part-time position. The candidate should anticipate working approximately 20 hours per week in the first year. Job duties will primarily be performed in a remote capacity with the exception of weekly onsite leadership meetings at the school’s current facility in Fredericksburg, VA. We anticipate that as development expands, there will be an increase in position hours and/or additional development staff.
- Strongly align with The Summit Academy’s mission and be adept at discussing the school’s pedagogy, strategy and operational execution, vision and planning, and the ways in which these serve local families, parishes, and the community.
- Possess outstanding interpersonal skills to be able to form strong relationships with donors and internal team members.
- Creative, energetic, and goal-orientated with the ability to lead as a key player on a small team with the desire to take the initiative for own success, learning, and professional development while keeping leadership apprised of progress.
- Excellent attitude, interpersonal skills, and a mature and flexible character to enhance professionalism in a small office environment
- Organized, with the ability to track progress and meet goals.
- Strong writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
- Strong research and organizational skills
Bachelor’s degree and at least three years of experience with non-profit organizations or related fields.
RESPONSIBILITIES / DUTIES/ JOB FUNCTIONS
Strategy & Implementation (20%)
- In close coordination with the Headmaster, the Development Manager will work collaboratively with the Board of Directors, key staff, parents, and students, and other key stakeholders to implement and execute the 12-month development plan that is appropriate to the school.
- The annual plan should include major gift cultivation strategies, regular small gift invites, grant-writing, special events, and communications.
- Create and manage the development budget, working closely with the executive staff to track revenues and expenses.
- Works collaboratively with all stakeholders and support groups, including faculty and administration, admissions team, student and “booster” clubs, and other related groups and organizations.
- Become involved in the community and understand the value of building strategic partnerships that can be leveraged for the benefit of the school.
Fundraising and Events Lead (35%)
- Identify, engage, and cultivate organizational partnerships.
- Develop engagement/fundraising events, (both in person and virtual) and provide oversight on event logistics.
- Work closely with and guide the Headmaster in executing all phases of the major gift and planned gift processes: identification, research, outreach and meeting co-ordination, follow-up, and stewardship.
Grant Management (25%)
- The position will involve researching, identifying, writing, and submitting grants aligned with the school mission.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and strategic or matching gifts. Maintain an active pool of prospects in this category.
- Organize and maintain donor database records and materials.
- Generate donor communications, pledge reminders, and gift schedules.
- Ensure timely entry of all gifts and prompt delivery of accurate acknowledgment letters and tax receipts to donors.
- Other responsibilities and tasks as requested.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and CV to Julian Malcolm at email@example.com or mail them to:
The Summit Academy
7124 Salem Fields Blvd. PMB # 157
Fredericksburg, VA 22407